I fired the gas kiln yesterday, filled with chowder bowls and tumblers and a few odds and ends that didn't get into the firing two weeks ago. I've got a show coming up in Harwich, down-Cape from us, next weekend and needed to get as much inventory finished as I could.
I have been unhappy with my Shinos for a few firings now, and I decided to throw out all three buckets and mix new batches, hoping that would solve the problems. Looks like it might have, after I opened the kiln this morning. I suspect the problems may have been as simple as letting the Shinos get too thick. The results in the Bright Shino, Red Shino and the Malcolm Davis carbon-trap were much more like they should be.
And I stretched out the firing time, from about six hours to eight and one-half hours. I let the temperature rise much more slowly than I have been. These are all more or less blind stabs in the dark, but the attempts might have hit on a few things that will work for me. Though even though I didn't top cone 10 either top or bottom, I still got a few more glazes running off the pots than I'm used to. Maybe it's the extra hours up near and slightly above cone 9.
One of the things I look for in my glazes is texture and detail. There were some that I like in this firing. See the photos.